[yocto] bring mipsel support (little endian mode)

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Wed Jun 27 08:17:07 PDT 2012

On 12-06-27 02:25 AM, Dennis.Yxun wrote:
> HI ALL:
>     Sorry for crossing post, but I'm quite new here, so if I did
> something wrong, please point me the right direction. thanks
>     I'm using oe-core, and notice that mipsel support(o32, little
> endian mode) is missing (current available choose is: qemumips,
> qemumips64, qemumips64el).
>     So, here I'm trying to bring up qemumipsel support . My first
> attempt would just make qemumipsel work,
> further would make it running on real board, thus maybe mips4kec,
> mips24k, mips74k chips.
>     What I achieved here current:
>    1) toolchain/basic libs, utilities should works ,only one changes,
> see my patch [a]
>     for mipsel we also have to filter out -march=mips32, previously we
> only handle mips (the big endian?)
>     don't have the error message now, but if you request, I can provide.
>    2) attempt to  compile kernel to support qemumipsel, unfortunately it fail.
> The point here is linux-yocto doesn't support qemumipsel, but merely
> support those other three mips arches,
> So here is my attempt patch [b], and the fail log [c], complied out
> binary still big endian.

Since it was easy enough to do, and doesn't imply any sort of full
support (since I can't declare that), I did the tweak to the mips
board descriptions and qemumipsel works without any machine mapping
in the linux-yocto recipes.

I pushed the change to the linux-yocto-3.4 meta branch, and staged a
commit for it locally.

You can see that commit here:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=zedd/mipsel

  .. stacked on top of my other pending 3.4 commits.

Note: I didn't update machine compatibility in that commit on purpose,
and I wasn't able to complete a full core-image-minimal build due to
QA issues. I'm probably just not building with a complete machine.conf ..
since I grabbed one quickly this morning to check the kernel parts.

Cheers,

Bruce