[yocto] <rant>the current yocto FAQ is pretty much valueless</rant>

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Jun 26 10:09:26 PDT 2012

On Tuesday 26 June 2012 13:05:21 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2012, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> > On Tuesday 26 June 2012 12:51:15 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >   ok, that makes sense.  but would it also make sense for bitbake to
> > > perhaps support another option that *does* allow personal content to,
> > > say, be effectively appended to one's local.conf.  for instance, every
> > > single local.conf i create immediately gets this added to the end:
> > >
> > > SOURCE_MIRROR_URL ?= "file:///home/rpjday/dl/"
> > > INHERIT += "own-mirrors"
> > > BB_GENERATE_MIRROR_TARBALLS = "1"
> > > # BB_NO_NETWORK = "1"
> >
> > OK, looking at the settings you've listed, I think these are the
> > kinds of things that site.conf was invented for - stuff that is
> > specific not to the builds you are doing but to the host machine /
> > site. You can simply put these settings in a file called site.conf
> > next to local.conf and they'll be read from there; for new build
> > directories you can just copy it in or symlink it from some common
> > location.
>
>   that still requires just a touch of user intervention.  no totally
> automatic way to do that, then?  it's at least an improvement over
> manual copying, thanks.

I have thought about this - it would be great if oe-init-build-env could
copy/symlink your customised version from somewhere automatically every time;
however the question would be how would it know where to copy it from? I'm not
sure an added command-line option would be much better than just getting
people to copy/symlink it in manually.

Cheers,
Paul

--