[yocto] <rant>the current yocto FAQ is pretty much valueless</rant>

Tomas Frydrych tf+lists.yocto at r-finger.com
Tue Jun 26 09:38:36 PDT 2012

On 26/06/12 17:06, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 June 2012 08:46:45 Darren Hart wrote:
>> On 06/26/2012 03:09 AM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
>>> I suggested to Scott R previously that it might be worth having a project
>>> FAQ (i.e., what is this project about, what is it intended to be used for
>>> etc.) and a separate technical FAQ which answers the kind of questions
>>> you are expecting and that we see often on the mailing list. I think one
>>> of the reasons that hasn't been done is that we're hoping to introduce a
>>> Q&A function on the website similar to StackOverflow, where everyone can
>>> participate but the most appropriate answers bubble up to the top. As yet
>>> this has not been implemented and I'm not sure when it will be, so it may
>>> still be worth looking into a static technical FAQ on the wiki until it
>>> is.
>>
>> Is "technical FAQ" == "How-Do-I pages" ?
>
> Kind of, except most but not all FAQ questions really fit into "How do I...".

Kooen's cheeky point is worth keeping in mind though; the Yocto naming
semantics is not very helpful ;-) Specifically most of the questions
being asked on the Yocto list are about Poky, not Yocto, followed by
questions about meta-yocto, not Yocto-project. Many of the questions
being asked on the list are readily answered by googling for 'Poky
Manual', but clearly very few people understand the Yocto project
semantics enough to do this ...

Tomas