[yocto] <rant>the current yocto FAQ is pretty much valueless</rant>

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Jun 26 09:33:18 PDT 2012

On Tuesday 26 June 2012 12:26:28 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i thought that was the technique for centralizing personal config
> preferences that you *didn't* want to manually copy into every
> local.conf file you created.  if you add that personal content into
> each local.conf, then of course you don't need those options.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "personal content". Certain settings
are really part of distro policy and if you're finding that you're setting them
all the time for all of the builds that you're doing, it would make more sense
to create a distro layer that sets them - then it's simply a matter of
ensuring that layer is added to your bblayers.conf and you set DISTRO as
appropriate.

AFAIK the command line options in question were added to allow frontends to
inject configuration into bitbake rather than something the user would normally
use directly.

Cheers,
Paul

--