[yocto] <rant>the current yocto FAQ is pretty much valueless</rant>

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Jun 26 03:18:57 PDT 2012

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012, Paul Eggleton wrote:

> On Tuesday 26 June 2012 05:09:34 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   in other words, a *good* FAQ might be:
> >
> > "how can i use the yocto prebuilt toolchains to save build time?"
> >
> >   a *bad* FAQ would be:
> >
> > "Does the Yocto Project have a special governance model, or is it
> > managed as an open source project?"
> >
> >   the kicker is that that last question is, in fact, in the yocto FAQ,
> > along with a number of other questions that have never been asked by
> > anyone in the history of the planet.  i chat about yocto with people
> > on a regular basis, and i can assure you, not a single one of them has
> > ever asked, "hey, rob, can you explain yocto's governance model?"
> >
> >   no, what they ask is, "hey, rob, how can i add a single package to
> > an existing target?"  a question that, i should point out, is not
> > answered definitively in the existing docs *anywhere*.
>
> You bring up a valid point, but I think it might be worth mentioning
> that the current FAQ evolved from a much less technically-oriented
> version that was produced when the project launched. At that time
> some people *were* asking the kind of questions that you're
> deriding. I think there's still a section of the *non-technical*
> audience who are interested in answers to those questions.

  i'm sure there's a place for those less technically-oriented
questions, but i will point out that on the main yocto docs page:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/documentation

you read:

"And, you view a list of commonly asked questions with their answers
by looking at the FAQ."

which, at the moment, simply isn't true.  in any event, that's my
$0.02 worth.  movin' on ...

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca