[yocto] RaspberryPi Kernel - Fails to boot when sound driver is a built-in

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Jun 25 02:25:41 PDT 2012

On Sunday 24 June 2012 21:31:41 Chris Tapp wrote:
> On 24 Jun 2012, at 16:25, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> > Well, FWIW I can't even get a kernel with the default configuration built
> > from meta-raspberrypi to boot - I even tried copying it to a Debian
> > SD-card and it doesn't boot there either. All I get is a black screen or
> > with the newer firmware I get the four-colour display which apparently
> > indicates it couldn't load the kernel.
>
> Firstly:
> 1) Are you using the SRCREVs as supplied, or have you updated them?
> 2) Which version of the bootfiles are you using?
>
> Everything is in such a state of flux at the moment that it does seem to be
> difficult to be sure what works one day will work if you upgrade anything
> to use the latest versions. I can get some combinations to work, the most
> up-to-date being:
>
> 1) Use the bootfiles with SRCREV =
> "9308c7ed387e5422883753f7fb71a75506abd1f8" 2) Build the kernel using SRCREV
> = "3fc65f9f291fb19cad434968a4a0f66ab749e637"

So far I've tried the following:

1) The current default in meta-raspberrypi - bootfiles at
56cd7ffb3f7244017c8eb3b492ea37592c678506 and kernel
0ec4154d64ebba48ca2446cde60a90546311defc

2) The above kernel with known-good bootfiles from a Debian SD card

3) The above kernel *on* the known-good Debian SD card

4) Known good kernel with the above bootfiles

5) The combination you suggested above

6) The latest available kernel + bootfiles

Of those, only option 4 sort-of worked.

> BTW - you need to update the .conf file for the machine to use ttyAMA0 if
> you want to use the serial port for kernel debug.

I did that, however it's not going to be much help as I don't yet have a
serial cable (I have one on order).

I'm beginning to wonder if it's something about the way the kernel is being
built. Are you using denzil or master of Poky?/OE-core?

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton