[yocto] SRCREV spec not working for kernel git recipes

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 08:17:06 PDT 2012

On 6/23/2012 12:57 AM, Elvis Dowson wrote:
> Hi Khem,
>
> On Jun 23, 2012, at 11:29 AM, Khem Raj wrote:
>
>>> I found out that if I specify SRCREV_pn-${PN}, it works and
>>> picks up the correct commit id, as follows:
>>>
>>> SRCREV_pn-${PN} = "a5556fb251253ccb674bd22d9703c37f6f8807a8"
>>>
>>> However, if you simply specifying SRCREV =
>>> "a5556fb251253ccb674bd22d9703c37f6f8807a8", it has no effect
>>> and it always picks up the latest commit from the git
>>> repository.
>>>
>>> It would be great if someone could please explain why this is
>>> so, because I search through the Yocto documentation and it
>>> isn't mentioned anywhere. The OE classic way of doing things,
>>> it used to pick up the correct commit by just specifying
>>> SRCREV. Now I find that you have to specify SRCREV_pn-${PN} to
>>> get it to work.
>>>
>>> Is this documented somewhere?
>>
>> ? can you port bitbake -e virtual/kernel output with and without
>> change somewhere ?
>

> The output files are rather large.
>

> BTW, I do not have a PROVIDES += "virtual/kernel" entry in the
> linux-xilinx kernel recipes. Is that necessary to get SRCREV to
> work?

hmm I see
SRCREV = "AUTOINC" in faulty case which is your problem comes from
meta-xilinx layer it sets SRCEREV in
conf/distro/include/xilinx-default-revisions.inc

SRCREV_pn-u-boot-xilinx ?= "${AUTOREV}"
SRCREV_pn-linux-xilinx ?= "${AUTOREV}"

that setting up SRCREV to be top of tree and its using pn-${PN} override
so whatever you set without override will be overwritten by this the
reson why SRCREV_pn-${PN} worked is because this is a weak assignment so
when you defined yours that one took precedence.