[yocto] Web Hob design update

Jack Mitchell ml at communistcode.co.uk
Fri Jun 22 07:59:50 PDT 2012

On 22/06/12 15:16, Jim Kosem wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The update of the WebHob design is up on the wiki
> https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Web_Hob_Design
>
> There's a PDF of all the screens of the latest version (v.1.9) of the
> application
> <https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/images/0/01/Webhob.1.pdf>, a link
> to the GitHub <https://github.com/jkosem/Yocto-WebHob-Design> we have
> setup for the HTML5 prototype development and a screencast of the
> v.1.8
> <https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/images/c/cb/Yocto_webHob.1.9_screencast.0.2.mov>
> showing our design thinking around WebHob and our vision for how it
> will work.
>
> As always, feedback is welcome. Thanks.
>
> --
> Jim Kosem

I like the design screens in the PDF, however it looks like it will be a
LOT of work! Just one question, how is it intended that this will be
setup? Will it be a standalone application with included web server
(twisted-web? I assume it will be python based...).

Are you intending to use Twitter's bootstrap (as that is what the design
screens resemble)? How about initial implementation, will it be using
websockets or event driven AJAX? What happens when two people try to
edit things at the same time? Is there going to be a separate
database/configuration files or will it be editing config files directly?

I'm not being awkward here, it's just the project I've been working on
the last 6 months is using some very similar technology and these are
some of the design decisions I've made (and still attempting to make!),
so it's more interest and understanding design decisions than anything else.

Regards,

--

   Jack Mitchell (jack at embed.me.uk)
   Embedded Systems Engineer