[yocto] Hob - proper way to select machine and customer layers

jfabernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 07:49:02 PDT 2012

So I thought I'd give hob a test. Basically, I wanted to do what I could
already do with the command line.

Normally, after I set the environment variables, I edit the local.conf
to change my machine type and parallel processing options. Then I point
the download directory to a centralized one on my system, and add some
License statements and some CORE-IMAGE-EXTRA-INSTALL statements for
extra packages. Then I edit the bblayer.conf to had the path to my layer
and the meta-intel layers.

To use Hob, I set my environment variable and the just ran hob.  It was
very slow going through the first 63 packages. I think this is because
parallel options had not been set and the packages were all being
downloaded again.  But after I got to the UI of hob, I got errors adding
my layers to get to the meta-intel layers I wanted.  So I started over
and edited local.conf and bblayer.conf prior to launching hob.  Now I
could see my machine from meta-intel, but I could not add my layer in.
Parsing errors.

Before I report an error, I wanted to see if I have the hob startup
process right. The issues is around the right way to add
meta-intel/meta-cedartrail and my personal layer in my home directory.

Any advice?

JIm A