[yocto] self-hosted image vs. build appliance

Stewart, David C david.c.stewart at intel.com
Wed Jun 20 15:16:04 PDT 2012

Yes indeed, we should have consistent naming for this feature.

The problem is, neither name is very good.

"build-appliance" = an implication that the thing "just works" like an appliance should just work in your kitchen. Unfortunately, the name isn't very descriptive.
"Self-hosted-image" = a description of how the thing is constructed (it's a Linux OS which was constructed by the Yocto Project itself, and it builds using the Yocto Project).

So neither name is good, but build appliance is usually the one I use.

If anyone has a better name I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE IT. Otherwise please file a bug to change the self-hosted-image name to build appliance.

Dave