[yocto] RFC: Selecting base images in Hob

Barros Pena, Belen belen.barros.pena at intel.com
Wed Jun 20 09:17:39 PDT 2012

In Hob, we use a drop-down list to select your image. But with 19 base
images now available, we have already outgrown the capacity of this UI
widget (the guidelines recommend using them when you have between 3 and 10
items). I filed bug 2345 (nice number) to look at alternative ways of
presenting and selecting base images in Hob.

The solution I am looking at is based on grouping the base images. I
thought I might ask for some help from the list to create those groups.
This is what I've come up with:

Group 1: Stripped-down images. It includes:

core-image-base
core-image-basic
core-image-minimal
core-image-minimal-dev
core-image-minimal-initramfs
core-image-minimal-mtdutils

Group 2: GUI images. It includes:

core-image-clutter
core-image-core
core-image-sato
core-image-sato-dev
core-image-sato-sdk
qt4e-demo-image

Group 3: LSB-conforming. It includes:

core-image-lsb
core-image-lsb-dev
core-image-lsb-sdk

Group 4: For real-time use. It includes:

core-image-rt
core-image-rt-sdk

Group 5 is just the self-hosted-image

Group 6 would be the 'Create you own image' option

Any suggestions on how to better group these images and recommendations on
how to name the groups would be very welcome.

Thanks!

Belen

Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
Registered No. 1134945 (England)