[yocto] Discussion: Package testing

Björn Stenberg bjst at enea.com
Mon Jun 18 08:04:33 PDT 2012

Richard Purdie wrote:
> > c) (-ptest) Install all test files to /opt/ptest/${PN}-${PV} (for
> > example). Make a package "ptest-runner" that has a
> > script /opt/ptest/run-all-tests to iterate over all installed tests
> > and run them. This is our suggestion.
>
> Can we suitably extract the tests out of the source code to be able to
> do this? I'm worried a little about the maintenance burden but I do like
> option c).

Typically the tests don't mix production and test code, since the purpose is to test the production code. Rather the tests are isolated in separate files that we relatively easily can build and install separately from the base package.

However, this is still early in the process. We have only processed a limited number of packages yet. We wanted to involve the community early to align our goals and directions.

--
Björn