[yocto] RFC: poky-tiny: init procedure

Tomas Frydrych tf+lists.yocto at r-finger.com
Sat Jun 16 01:53:25 PDT 2012

Hi Darren,

On 16/06/12 00:15, Darren Hart wrote:
> I dont think
> Tim's comment was wrong there. Of course "big system" is subjective, to
> me that's anything over 4 MB of storage and 8MB of RAM, for Tim, that's
> 1 MB of RAM.

Indeed, I was thinking of something like the OpenRisc board
(http://opencores.org/shop,item,9), which is a 1MB flash / 32MB RAM,
which I now realize is a huge system by both your and Tim standards :)

> Your point on eliminating shell scripts is a good one though.

In my experience scripts tend show fairly visibly on poky bootchart,
that's all.

I was thinking that for a small system, where I know exactly what I
want, the rc.local file could probably be fairly easily replaced with a
custom config-less spawner written in C. If done with a view to permit
easy modification of the .c source file, it would not be any more hassle
customizing than tweaking a shell script. But you would loose the
ability to tweak config over ssh, which is a significant trade off for
development / debugging, so I think the rc.local is a better default
approach (and alternatives can always be dropped in using the
ALTERNATIVES mechanism anyway).

I think the busybox sysvinit is probably worth experimenting with to get
some idea what size of a system it would be a viable alternative for the
default, and document that somewhere.

Tomas