[yocto] RFC: poky-tiny: init procedure

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Jun 15 00:05:35 PDT 2012

Le Fri, 15 Jun 2012 07:31:45 +0100,
Tomas Frydrych <tf+lists.yocto at r-finger.com> a écrit :

> Hi Darren,
>
> On 14/06/12 22:09, Darren Hart wrote:
> > This solution improves the kick-the-tires
> > experience with poky-tiny, without pulling in all of init,
>
> I think you really should quantify what 'all of init' means, without
> this you are addressing a problem that is merely perceived. Just a
> quick look shows that the sysvinit package is about 120KB unpacked,
> for that you get a solution that is tested, robust, and supported
> across Yocto.

FWIW, Busybox comes with its own implementation of a very simple and
basic init, which only takes a few KB of space inside the Busybox
binary. That's what we use by default in Buildroot, and it works just
fine. It's a really good trade-off between no init at all, and a
full-blown sysvinit system.

Best regards,

Thomas
--