[yocto] Setting architecture of only DEB files (arm vs armel)

Tyler Jones tylerjones64 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 17:17:29 PDT 2012

I am compiling a distro for my hardware using DEBs for my package
management. In meta/classes/package_deb.bbclass I need DPKG_ARCH = "armel"
instead of TARGET_ARCH (which is "arm"). When I run dpkg on my device armel
is the architecture, not arm, but yocto wants my TARGET_ARCH to be set to
"arm". Is there a non hackish way to do this from my BSP layer or config
file?

The dpkg error I get is:
  package architecture (arm) does not match system (armel)

-Tyler Jones