[yocto] running my qemu images with kvm

Scott Garman scott.a.garman at intel.com
Thu Jun 14 13:07:58 PDT 2012

>    embarrassingly, i only just noticed that if i want my
> yocto-generated qemu images to take advantage of kvm, i should add the
> arg "kvm" to my "runqemu" invocation, is that correct?

Correct.

>    if that's the case, might it be worth adding that note to the
> standard oe-init-build-env output at the bottom?  or perhaps referring
> the user to the output of "runqemu -h" for available run-time options?

Since the oe-init-build-env script gets invoked for many scenarios that
don't involve running runqemu, I'm not convinced that the info is needed
- it might be nice to have, but we don't want to clutter the output with
too much info.

>    at the moment, it seems awfully easy to run your qemu image without
> realizing you're not taking advantage of kvm.  or am i misreading
> something?

I've been running my QEMU sessions without kvm and it hasn't been a big
deal. Since we do mention its use in the runqemu usage help, IMHO it's
appropriately documented.

I'm not sure what the status is of kvm support in the various
environments that Yocto is run in, so enabling kvm by default may not be
safe. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the feedback,

Scott

--