[yocto] More useful generic-x86 machine

Ross Burton ross.burton at intel.com
Wed Jun 13 13:44:50 PDT 2012

Hi,

My current test hardware for Yocto work is a Celeron-class Sandy Bridge-based micro PC. As is to be expected for a machine like this, it's got modern Intel graphics and wireless. Neither of which are supported by atom-pc, as it's nominally a "generic netbook" image.

Let's face it -- it's a really bad generic netbook image, it's really a Asus eeePC701-and-similar image. Specifically, only one wifi driver, only i915 GPU driver, and so on.

I'm not arguing for a true generic kernel such as Fedora maintains which boots on almost everything, just a new machine with more flexibility. Including both i915 and i965 GPU drivers covers everything Intel-driven from the earliest netbook to the latest Ivy Bridge[1].  Including the iwl wifi drivers at least covers a good proportion of devices out there.  There are probably a few more drivers that are common and give big gains in support.  Not exactly boot on everything, but certainly boot on many.

Thoughts?

Ross

[1] Ignoring Cedar Trail, but that's already in meta-intel