[yocto] PR and bbappends

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Sun Jun 10 15:04:28 PDT 2012

On Monday 04 June 2012 10:12:09 David Nyström wrote:
> On 06/01/2012 09:32 PM, McClintock Matthew-B29882 wrote:
> > Some based layers should not modify certain packages. Which
> > meta-fsl-ppc is guilty of doing which I would like to cleanup. Changes
> > to packages should be moved up to a distro layer I believe?
>
> I don't mind BSP layers modifying packages, as long as its called for.
> It would be helpful if BSP maintainers could try to enforce
> those bbappends only on machines in the BSP layer itself. i.e.
>
> Bugfix and other similar bbappends on generic stuff could be placed in a
> separate directory which can be easily BBMASK:ed.

If they're bugfixes that are not in any way machine-specific they really do not
belong in the BSP. They're fine for distro layers, although I would strongly
encourage people to be pushing these fixes up to OE-core unless they are
specific to some distro policy.

FYI, for machine specific changes in bbappends you can still make use of a
machine override to ensure that the change only applies when building for that
specific machine. With a lot of variable changes that could get messy though :/

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton