[yocto] Bugzilla Re-organization

Tom Zanussi tom.zanussi at intel.com
Fri Jun 1 14:33:34 PDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-06-01 at 10:45 -0700, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 05/31/2012 08:37 PM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:

> >> It seems to me one should be able to find the linux-yocto kernel itself
> >> under the Yocto Project Components from the basic search page. Currently
> >> there is Kernel Tooling and BSPs, but there are times when the bug is
> >> not BSP specific and is in the kernel itself, not the tooling. For this,
> >> a hierarchy like the following might be preferable:
> >>
> >> Yocto Project Components
> >>    BSPs
> >>      bsps
> >>    Kernel
> >>      linux-yocto
> >>      configuration
> >>      kernel-tooling
> >
> > +1. I completely agree with this.
> >

> >> I am still not sure how best to deal with BSPs here and BSPs in Build
> >> System&  Metadata. I think We should pick one or the other as the
> >> distinction between the two is non-obvious (actually I have no idea what
> >> it would be).
> >
> > Agreed .. that this is hard. If we used 'configuration' for the kernel
> > category, could the build system + meta data fall into that as well
> > under BSPs ?
> >
> > i.e.
> >
> >     BSPs
> >       bsps - runtime
> >       bsps - configuration
>
> I think so. I like this better.
>
> Tom, any objections?

No objections, this all looks fine to me.

> Yocto Project Components
>    BSPs
>      bsps-runtime
>      bsps-configuration
>    Kernel
>      linux-yocto
>      kernel-configuration
>      kernel-tooling
>
> The other Kernel related path would include
> Build System & Metadata
>   Layers - OpenEmbedded-Core
>     kernel
>
> This would be for the kernel.bbclass and other recipes and classes.

It would be nice to have that fact reflected in the name somehow, to
avoid confusion for users with Yocto Project Components->Kernel, but I'm
not coming up with anything wieldy.

> I think we should just kill:
> Build System & Metadata
>   Layers - BSPs
>
> and move all the BSP components under Yocto Project Components->BSPs

I agree, it would just add confusion to keep this.

> Finally there is:
>
> Build System & Metadata
>   Layers - meta-yocto
>     machines
>
> Which should just go away and be replaced witha BSPs->meta-yocto
> component, if anything.

Better known as 'core BSPs', which might be more clear to some...

> So, the final layout would be:
>
> Yocto Project Components
>    BSPs
>      bsps-runtime
>      bsps-configuration (these top too being "generic" buckets)
>      bsps-meta-yocto

On the other hand this naming is clean and consistent with the rest, so
is probably better.

>      bsps-meta-fsl-ppc
>      bsps-meta-intel
>      bsps-meta-ti
>      bsps-tools
>      bsps-xilinx (meta-xilinx?)
>
>    Kernel
>      linux-yocto
>      kernel-configuration
>      kernel-tooling
>
> I believe this would make it much easier for us to manage Kernel related
> issues across the project.

I agree. Acked-by-me...

Tom