[yocto] Bugzilla Re-organization

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Fri Jun 1 10:43:10 PDT 2012

On 05/31/2012 08:37 PM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On 12-05-31 2:27 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
>>

>> On 05/25/2012 03:38 PM, Michael Halstead wrote:
>>> The first draft of the reorganized bugzilla is available for feedback
>>> now at https://bugzilla.yoctodev.org/. Outgoing e-mail is currently
>>> disabled on this preview copy. Please feel free to take a look and see
>>> if you spot any errors. Additional refinement of  product or component
>>> descriptions will be helpful as well.
>>>

>> It seems to me one should be able to find the linux-yocto kernel itself
>> under the Yocto Project Components from the basic search page. Currently
>> there is Kernel Tooling and BSPs, but there are times when the bug is
>> not BSP specific and is in the kernel itself, not the tooling. For this,
>> a hierarchy like the following might be preferable:
>>
>> Yocto Project Components
>>    BSPs
>>      bsps
>>    Kernel
>>      linux-yocto
>>      configuration
>>      kernel-tooling
>
> +1. I completely agree with this.
>

>> I am still not sure how best to deal with BSPs here and BSPs in Build
>> System&  Metadata. I think We should pick one or the other as the
>> distinction between the two is non-obvious (actually I have no idea what
>> it would be).
>
> Agreed .. that this is hard. If we used 'configuration' for the kernel
> category, could the build system + meta data fall into that as well
> under BSPs ?
>
> i.e.
>
>     BSPs
>       bsps - runtime
>       bsps - configuration

I think so. I like this better.

Tom, any objections?

Yocto Project Components
   BSPs
     bsps-runtime
     bsps-configuration
   Kernel
     linux-yocto
     kernel-configuration
     kernel-tooling

The other Kernel related path would include
Build System & Metadata
  Layers - OpenEmbedded-Core
    kernel

This would be for the kernel.bbclass and other recipes and classes.

I think we should just kill:
Build System & Metadata
  Layers - BSPs

and move all the BSP components under Yocto Project Components->BSPs

Finally there is:

Build System & Metadata
  Layers - meta-yocto
    machines

Which should just go away and be replaced witha BSPs->meta-yocto
component, if anything.

So, the final layout would be:

Yocto Project Components
   BSPs
     bsps-runtime
     bsps-configuration (these top too being "generic" buckets)
     bsps-meta-yocto
     bsps-meta-fsl-ppc
     bsps-meta-intel
     bsps-meta-ti
     bsps-tools
     bsps-xilinx (meta-xilinx?)

   Kernel
     linux-yocto
     kernel-configuration
     kernel-tooling

I believe this would make it much easier for us to manage Kernel related
issues across the project.

--
Darren

--