[yocto] do QEMU images really come with dropbear and an nfs server?

Scott Garman scott.a.garman at intel.com
Fri Jul 27 11:41:10 PDT 2012

> On Fri, 27 Jul 2012, Scott Garman wrote:
>
>> On 07/27/2012 07:18 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>>
>>>     the yocto dev manual currently suggests that QEMU images come with
>>> both dropbear and an nfs server:
>>>
>>> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#using-pre-built-binaries-and-qemu
>>>
>>> i don't have a QEMU image in front of me to test, but the definition
>>> of the basic QEMU images doesn't seem to suggest that that's true.
>>>
>>>     i can see it's easy to add them, but the manual suggests they're
>>> there by default.  or am i misreading something?
>>
>> It looks like we may need a manual tweak here.
>>
>> core-image-minimal does not come with any ssh server. core-image-lsb
>> should have openssh instead of dropbear. So unless something changed
>> very recently, core-image-sato is the only one that has dropbear in
>> it by default.
>>
>> Also, the manual states "The QEMU images also contain an embedded
>> Network File System (NFS) server that exports the image's root
>> filesystem." This isn't strictly true - instead we offer a native
>> tool which runs a userspace NFS server and if some prep work is done
>> by the user (extracting a rootfs tarball with runqemu-extract-sdk),
>> you can then point the runqemu script to that directory instead of a
>> rootfs image file.
>
>    rather than a simple manual tweak, what about actually adding one or
> both of those features to even the smaller core images, then updating
> the docs accordingly?  just a thought.

Well, in the case of core-image-minimal, I don't think we want to add
additional bloat.

Also, when I teach classes on how to create custom image recipes, my
exercise is typically to take core-image-minimal, and modify it to
include an ssh server (dropbear or openssh) and psplash (which gives
students a nice visual change to notice when booting the new image). As
a fellow instructor, you may find that useful.

Scott

--
Scott Garman
Embedded Linux Engineer - Yocto Project