[yocto] Do the recent changes to core-image-minimal provide a root login prompt?

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 04:12:48 PDT 2012

Hi Paul,

On Jul 23, 2012, at 1:18 PM, Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 21 July 2012 20:33:02 Elvis Dowson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>      Do the recent changes to core-image-minimal provide a root login
>> prompt?
>>
>> When I build it for the PowerPC440 on the Virtex5 FPGA, the size of the
>> core-image-minimal-virtex5.tar.gz file is only around 3.2 MB, so I was
>> wondering if the basic functionality provided by core-image-minimal
>> includes booting to a root login console?
>
> It does (and always has). The core-image-minimal image recipe itself hasn't
> changed in a while though, what gave you the impression it had?

I think I figured out what was going wrong with my attempts on the ML507 board, you can specify a 16550 compatible serial UART (ttyS0), or the Xilinx UARTLite IP core (ttyUL0). So, because the correct serial console wasn't specified, I couldn't see the login prompt. I could see the boot progress on an LCD display, but didn't see the login prompt. The reason for asking was 'cos I remember that the core-image-minimal was more that 15mb a couple of months back, and now it has dropped to around 4mb, and I vaguely recall seeing a patch that resulted in its size reduction.

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson