[yocto] Why does my kernel fail to boot (LX800 system)?

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Fri Jul 13 05:10:27 PDT 2012

I really don't understand what's going on here...

1) I've got an ALIX 3D3 system with an AMD Geode LX800;
2) I've found a 3.2.17 kernel that boots (from Voyage Linux);
3) I've used the config for the above to build linux-yocto_3.2 under 'Denzil'.

This is done using a BSP with a bbappend for the kernel that does nothing other than specify the BSP as a COMPATIBLE_MACHINE and point to a defconfig for 3), above. Is this valid? I think it is as I'm supplying a full kernel config via the defconfig.

Kernel builds ok, but when I try to boot there is a short delay and then the screen fills up with random characters (including solid color blocks, bits that flash) which looks like the video memory has been overwritten. Nothing comes out of the serial port to show that the kernel is even trying to boot.

Any pointers to things to check would be much appreciated !

Chris Tapp

opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com