[yocto] Some questions about the webhob design

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Fri Jul 6 10:29:42 PDT 2012

On Friday 06 July 2012 17:13:45 Stewart, David C wrote:
> [...]

Right, and the logical extension from this is that no matter what safeguards
we put in, there will be users that find a way shoot themselves in the foot. Of
course we should try to make it harder to do the wrong thing, but there's a
limit to what we can do. Despite this however I'm still convinced it's
important to offer the ability for people to work on the same thing.

> How about a strongly visible warning on the Projects page that simultaneous
> user changes will affect all users of the project's files? How about an
> asynchronous notification to users on the main screen that some files have
> changed since their last build (and maybe list them).

I'm not opposed to a warning, but the thing is the scenario presented earlier
wasn't strictly speaking a case of simultaneous user changes (which I think we
have pretty well covered in the design in terms of showing real-time warnings
to go together with real-time changes to the project) - in the scenario one
user set up the project, and some time later another user attempted to use
that project, and in the mean time someone broke it while neither of the other
two users were logged in. A warning to help in that case could only be along
the lines of "This project is shared with other users, so please take care
when making changes."

> Again, writing a user story is what I'm looking for. I would do it myself,
> but I'm still struggling. :-)

I spoke to Jim about this and he's going to put something together, but it's
likely that if what you're after is a full explanation of the workflow that
it's a significant exercise.

Cheers,
Paul

--