[yocto] <rant>the current yocto FAQ is pretty much valueless</rant>

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Sun Jul 1 09:23:04 PDT 2012

On 06/28/2012 03:44 AM, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
> Hi Koen,
>
> On 27/06/12 22:58, Koen Kooi wrote:
>> I have no problem with poky-the-distro, I have a problem with
>> poky-the-buildsystem. I warned mallum about this confusion years ago,
>> but you know how stubborn he can be :)
>
> The Yocto naming confusion is entirely of Yocto making, nothing at all
> to do with days of yore. There was never any confusion about what Poky
> was before Yocto, just unhappiness of some that Poky was not just a
> distro. :)
>
> Poky-the-buildsystem was simply necessary. OE-the-buildsystem is a
> wonderful, rich, community project, but one in a constant and
> unpredictable flux. This is great for tinkering, but PITA when trying to
> develop and long term maintain a product (much bigger problem than what
> sparked this thread for sure). In the absence of a clearly defined
> process for the OE-the-buildsystem Poky had to bring sanity to the
> buildsystem itself and could not be just a distro. It introduced QA,
> releases, it focused on facilitating customization and manageable
> upgrade paths (and even provided some documentation!).

Poky used to be a build system + distro based on OpenEmbedded. Anything
else is marketing :) Poky is now a distribution built with Yocto Project
tooling.

The Yocto Project is a project to help you create a distribution based
on OpenEmbedded Core + some other things.

I think this is the most accurate description possible.

Philip