[yocto] Using stable releases from git

Joshua Lock josh at linux.intel.com
Mon Jan 30 15:15:00 PST 2012

On 30/01/12 15:05, jfabernathy wrote:
> On 01/30/2012 05:58 PM, Joshua Lock wrote:
>> It's beginning to sound like we've caught some folks off guard by
>> pushing changes to the edison branch of the poky repository in
>> preparation for an upcoming edison point release.
>>
>> The named branches are development branches for the release, stable
>> release development will be done in the named branch and we can't
>> guarantee they will be issue free (though we intend them to be where
>> possible).
>>
>> If you're looking to use a git checkout which matches the release
>> tarballs you should checkout the tags for the releases. i.e. for Poky
>> Edison-6.0/Yocto 1.1:
>>
>> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tag/?id=edison-6.0
>> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-intel/tag/?id=edison-6.0
>>
> So instead of doing:
>
> git checkout -b edison origin/edison
>
> what should I do if I want to stay in sync with the tarball.  This may just be a doc problem.

I'd do:

git fetch --tags
git checkout edison-6.0

Then when a new tarball comes out, you'd repeat with the new tag name.

You can see the tags with:
git tag -l
(be sure to have git fetch --tags first)

i.e. to update through bernard releases
git fetch --tags
git checkout bernard-5.0
<time passes, 5.0.1 released>