[yocto] Using stable releases from git

Joshua Lock josh at linux.intel.com
Mon Jan 30 14:58:57 PST 2012

It's beginning to sound like we've caught some folks off guard by
pushing changes to the edison branch of the poky repository in
preparation for an upcoming edison point release.

The named branches are development branches for the release, stable
release development will be done in the named branch and we can't
guarantee they will be issue free (though we intend them to be where
possible).

If you're looking to use a git checkout which matches the release
tarballs you should checkout the tags for the releases. i.e. for Poky
Edison-6.0/Yocto 1.1:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tag/?id=edison-6.0
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-intel/tag/?id=edison-6.0

Having suffered through a couple of stable cycles recently I anticipate
that in future the release branches will be updated more frequently.
This will make it even more important to use a tag, rather than a
branch, to track the releases using git.

Cheers,
Joshua
--
Joshua Lock