[yocto] Yocto & long-term reproducibility of rebuilds

paul_nathan at selinc.com paul_nathan at selinc.com
Mon Jan 30 08:34:02 PST 2012

Hi,

I am investigating Yocto for a build system here. Part of my requirements
for a build system is auditable/traceable builds that can be replicated
long into the future (our company has a 10 year warranty on our products,
and we build products for the multidecade term). Initial examination of
Yocto shows that it builds packages from a number of different domains
online, which will not meet our requirements - we'll have to store these
packages to ensure these packages exist in the correct version long into
the future.  I know we can manually edit the SRC_URI setting in .bb files,
but the more general problem of package archiving exists.

I am interested in any information or recommendations other users of the
Yocto system have on how they have solved this sort of design constraint.

- - -
Regards,
Paul Nathan