[yocto] Understanding the git commits for Yocto and meta

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 06:51:54 PST 2012

While I've read enough to think I understand git, I get confused when it's applied to real situations like Yocto.  If I look at the Yocto Development Manual, Appendix A, A.5.2.4 Changing Recipes-kernel, It brings up some questions.

1. The way I see it, when you guys commit something to the linux yocto master or meta there is a commit string associated with that commit.  Not to any certain branch of the git repository, right?

2.  So if I'm building an image for atom-pc using Edison branch, the first SRCREV I'm interested in is yocto/standard/common-pc/atom-pc branch.  But the commits I see at

 http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/linux-yocto-3.0/commit/?h=yocto/standard/common-pc/atom-pc

are commits not associated with Edison, but Master, right?

3.  How do I find the commit string for a particular branch, like Edison, for something like yocto/standard/common-pc/atom-pc?

4.  To me, branches are things like Edison, Bernard, etc.  But on the page:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/linux-yocto-3.0/refs/heads?h=yocto/standard/common-pc/atom-pc

yocto/standard/common-pc/atom-pc, master, and meta are all listed as branches.  What is the difference??

5.  The second SRCREV seems to be associated with meta.  How does that relate to my whole confusion on branches.

6.  To me, if you are working with Edison and a particular BSP, then these 2 commit strings should be constant forever, right?