[yocto] How to get opkg in rootfilesystem

Brian Hutchinson b.hutchman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 10:53:09 PST 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> On 2012-01-26 09:36, Brian Hutchinson wrote:
> Because you asked to build an absolutely minimal root file system.
> In this case, it's expected that you don't want to have opkg available.
> If you still want this very minimal system *and* opkg, just add the
> package management as previously instructed.
>  EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES += "package_management"

I'm not building minimal.  I built core-image-minimal and it truly was
minimal.  Nothing in /usr/lib!

Next I build core-image-base.  Most of the Angstrom & Arago images
I've build that were minimal-ish had opkg.

I know I should probably be doing this with recipes/layers but I'm not
quite there yet.

Here is my typical use case.  I start with a base image (NFS mounted)
and then install only the packages I need to a target for what I'm
doing.  For development, I'll include a bunch of things that are not
in the rootfs of something that is shipped in a product.  But for
development, an engineer might be interested in trying something quick
and it is nice to be able to do a opkg install and pull a package from
a local repository quickly rather than me try to come up with a custom
layer and wait hours for it to build.

I'm doing a build now and it looks like it is pulling in some opkg
stuff this time.  I took the
EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES_append_pn-<yourimage> = from Khem's email literal
as I know enough about yocto to be dangerous at this point. ;)

Ah, build just finish and a grep of the rootfs tar shows a
/etc/opkg.conf and a opkg bin sym link so I'm good for the moment!

Thank you all for showing me the way (again)!

Regards,

Brian