[yocto] How to get opkg in rootfilesystem

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu Jan 26 08:47:37 PST 2012

On Thursday 26 January 2012 11:36:31 Brian Hutchinson wrote:
> Update,
>
> I'm still not doing something right.  I did a clean rebuild of
> core-image-base and a tar jtvf core-image-base-beagleboard.tar.bz2
> reveals opkg stuff in /var/lib/opkg only.  No opkg bin.
>
> I guess I'm still in shock over this.  I mean why should I have to do
> anything other than:
> PACKAGE_CLASSES ?= "package_ipk"
>
> I mean, if I specify I want package_ipk in the "Package Management
> configuration" section, doesn't logic follow that the image would be
> created with opkg and some sample opkg.conf files?  What use is it to
> generate all those .ipk's for the repository the build does without
> opkg being there?

Not necessarily. The way our rootfs construction works, it has to be done via
some package management backend, but many people don't want/need it in their
final image. FYI some image recipes default to adding the package-management
feature but core-image-base clearly does not.

It's actually easier to enable this than Khem suggested, however. The default
Yocto local.conf contains a line that sets EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES - just add
package-management within this, and you'll get package management in your
image. (FYI the reason his example probably didn't work when you tried it is I
think you may have left out the initial space - the list is space-separated
and _append does not add a space beforehand.)

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton