[yocto] Making machine config a build dependency for core-image recipes

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Wed Jan 18 14:20:22 PST 2012

On 2012-01-18 15:04, Yang, Fei wrote:
> I encountered a build issue when trying to generate /etc/inittab.
> I have a meta-xxx/conf/machine/conf file which contains serial console information such as SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyXYZ" or "115200 ttyS0" by default.
> When I update that conf file and make an incremental build, the /etc/inittab doesn't get updated, I finally have to remove all the binaries and force a complete re-build to generate correct /etc/inittab with updated serial console settings, which take more than an hour to finish.
> How do I create a dependency so that when I update my machine/conf file, an incremental build would take care of the change and re-generate the files in root FS accordingly? If that is impossible for now, can I just delete one or a few task binaries to trigger a rebuild on /etc/inittab? This would greatly reduce my build time.

You really only need to rebuild the sysvinit package.

    % ... make your modifications to machine/conf
    % bitbake sysvinit -c cleansstate
    % bitbake <whatever-image-you-like>

This package is not marked as machine dependent via
   PACKAGE_ARCH = "${MACHINE_ARCH}"
perhaps it should be since /etc/inittab is target dependent?