[yocto] auto tools tagged configuration

autif khan autif.mlist at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 09:23:36 PST 2012

So, I have been trying to cross compile mono and having some luck with it.

When the configure script runs, it creates a libtool script which does
not work well with yocto's cross compilation setup.

Step 1: So, I rename this libtool as libtool.orig and

Step 2: copy the libtool from
tmp/sysroots/crownbay/usr/bin/crossscripts/i586-poky-linux-libtool

This errors out as follows:

CC	debug-debugger.lo
debug-debugger.c: In function ‘debugger_get_boxed_object’:
debug-debugger.c:211:21: warning: variable ‘last_boxed_object’ set but
not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
../../doltlibtool --quiet   --mode=compile i586-poky-linux-gcc  -m32
 -march=core2 -msse3 -mtune=generic -mfpmath=sse -c -o
mdb-debug-info32.lo mdb-debug-info32.s
libtool: compile: unable to infer tagged configuration
libtool: compile: specify a tag with `--tag'
make[4]: *** [mdb-debug-info32.lo] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/home/autif/data2/nosync/dev/yocto/apps/mono/mono-2.6.3/mono/mini'

At this point, if I delete the cross libtool and rename libtool.orig
(from Step 1) back to libtool, make continues beyond this step and
fails further.

Again, copying yocto's libtool as done is Step 2, allows make to
continue creates all the binaries and libraries. At this point the
binaries can be manually copied to the target and seem to pass a lot
of mono's runtime and library tests. This is great!

(make install fails, but, resolution for it can wait)

So, what is this "tagged  information" can can not be "infered" and
what can I do to mono's autoconf script to fix this?