[yocto] Does Edison work with Beagleboard & linux-yocto-3.0 kernel?

Joshua Lock josh at linux.intel.com
Wed Jan 11 12:47:26 PST 2012

On 11/01/12 06:41, Brian Hutchinson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I followed the example in the "Yocto Project Development Manual" for
> setting up a local kernel repo and it didn't go so well.
>
> A month or two ago I checked out Edison and was able to build all the
> images required for Beagleboard and it booted fine (using command line
> ... not hob.  Tried hob but couldn't get it to work).
>
> So then I checked out linux-yocto-3.0 kernel and setup a local kernel
> git repo and went through the process of setting up poky-extras,
> modifying bblayers.conf etc. to point to my local repo.
>
> Any time I try to build core-image-minimal it looks like it always
> wants to use the 2.6.37 recipe instead of finding my 3.0 repo.  I've
> tried everything I can think of and I must me missing something.

In meta-yocto/conf/distro/poky.conf there's a line which sets:

PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-yocto ?= "2.6.37+git%"

Which is then overridden for the qemu machines to:

PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-yocto_qemuppc ?= "3.0%"

If you add a similar line for beagleboard to a conf file, such as
local.conf, it would look for a 3.0 kernel version and use your tree.

PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-yocto_beagleboard ?= "3.0%"

I know you've switched to master but I wanted to help you understand the
system is doing what it is.

Cheers,
Joshua
--