[yocto] Request to enable SMP and virtio for qemux86/x86-64

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Wed Jan 11 04:43:23 PST 2012

On 12-01-11 02:01 AM, Zhai, Edwin wrote:
> Bruce,
> Can we enable SMP and virtio by default for qemux86/x86-64? This can achieve
> huge perf boost for workload inside qemu. E.g. we enabled self-hosted image,
> where we build yocto inside qemu.
>
> Attached patch showes the kernel config option.
>
> Is it reasonable?

It should be. I just need to look at the fallback modes, and how this
impacts different host systems. That being said, I've run with similar
configs in the past (depending on the workload) with no issues.

qemux8-64 is already SMP, so it would just need the addition of virtio
devices, which just means we'd look at this as any BSP/target config
update.

But with graceful degradation (i.e maxcpus with SMP set) and agreement
that we'd like to simulate SMP by default, then we can make the change
and I'll merge it into the base config for the target and pull it into
the kernel tree.

Cheers,

Bruce