[yocto] understanding what's in an image

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 04:23:03 PST 2012

On Jan 10, 2012, at 7:03 AM, Gary Thomas wrote:

> On 2012-01-09 17:51, James Abernathy wrote:
>> I'm trying to understand how bitbake parses the poky directory tree a little better.
>>
>> The best I can figure all .bb files are NOT included. Just some of them are.  I'm guessing that the .bb in the meta/recipe-sato named core-image-sato.bb is the one that is used to start the parsing if bitbake core-image-sato is executed.
>> I originally thought all subdirectories of a path included in BBLAYER were parsed looking for .bb files, but now I know that is not true, but not sure why.
>>
>> For example, it does not appear that webkit is included in the core-image-sato even though the recipe-sato directory includes the webkit subdirectory with it's recipe.  What would be the proper way of adding the webkit to core-image-sato??
>
> The 'webkit' is just a library used to build tools such as a
> web browser.  You might want to start with an application that
> actually uses webkit, such as web-webkit.
>
> To build an image which includes web-webkit, add this line to
> your local.conf file and rebuild the image:
>  IMAGE_INSTALL += "web-webkit"
>
> You can also build packages which are not installed into your
> image by default and use a package manager (e.g. zypper) to
> install the package later onto a running system.

This was very helpful. Before I got your email, I had gotten the advice to
put the IMAGE_INSTALL += "web-webkit" into the core-image-sato.bb file.
Both seem to work.  Not sure which is the best approach.  Maybe creating a .bbappend
in my BSP??

So how do I know which applications are installed in an image? is there a how file of IMAGE_INSTALL statements?

Jim A