[yocto] Does my build disk's filesystem make a difference?

Jack Mitchell ml at communistcode.co.uk
Mon Jan 9 01:15:56 PST 2012

On 07/01/12 15:16, autif khan wrote:
> You are better off with one of the dual boot OSes in a virtual machine
> that a dual boot situation where you are trying to write to NTFS from
> linux or trying to work with ext2fs tools from windows.
>
> I do not even know if you can create equivalent of symlinks (used
> extensively in yocto) on an NTFS
>
> In theory, it might work, but NTFS was not built for linux, likewise,
> ext4 was not meant to be used for windows. It is a bad idea.
>
> You know - unless this happens to be your master's research thesis :-)
>
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Jeff Osier-Mixon<jefro at jefro.net>  wrote:
>> I am creating a Yocto Project build system. For various reasons, it is a
>> dual-boot system, win7&  linux (probably mint 12, haven't decided). I have a
>> primary boot disk with both operating systems and a large secondary disk to
>> use for build trees etc.
>>
>> Does the filesystem on the big secondary disk matter? Ideally I would like
>> to be able to get to the large data disk from both operating systems. That
>> would necessitate NTFS, as win7 does not speak ext4 reliably, but I don't
>> want to slow my builds down.
>>
>> --
>> Jeff Osier-Mixon http://jefro.net/blog
>> Yocto Project Community Manager @Intel http://yoctoproject.org

I'm no expert in this either but I am unsure how NTFS handles file
permissions, something else that could horribly break!

If I were you I would do as suggested earlier and run Win7 in a virtual
machine then use a shared directory/network shares system.

Otherwise, you could format as ext3 and use the 3rd party drivers
available to Windows for reading. Again though I don't know how
permissions are handled or anything like that so it may be ok for
browsing but I wouldn't recommend major changes through it.

Jack.