[yocto] proper recipe for building for beagle xM? meta-ti?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Feb 28 14:28:17 PST 2012

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Op 28 feb. 2012, om 22:55 heeft Robert P. J. Day het volgende geschreven:
>
> > On Tue, 28 Feb 2012, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> >
> >> It is true that the beagleboard is a hardware reference board in the
> >> yocto consolidated kernel tree and meta-yocto layers. That means
> >> that it gets the yocto standard QA builds and boot testing.
> >>
> >> That being said, if you are looking for the latest + specific
> >> features then you've been pointed in a good direction .. meta-ti
> >> will meet your needs.
> >>
> >> As for disentangling and reducing questions in this area .. rest
> >> assured, we are working on it.
> >
> >  ok, that's perfectly reasonable -- meta-yocto provides a generic,
> > well-tested product, while the meta-ti layer provides more
> > leading-edge content, correct?
>
> No, the amount of testing is not the difference, the amount of
> support for the board is. Meta-ti supports the camera interfaces, 3d
> engine, dsp, crypto engines, expansion boards, etc. Meta-yocto lacks
> all that for beagleboard.

  i understand that reasonably well, and i'll make one more
observation, then i'll shut up.

  i cloned the meta-ti layer into my yocto clone, and here's the
majority of the meta-ti README:

===== start

This layer depends on:

URI: git://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core
branch: master
revision: HEAD

URI: git://git.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded
branch: master
revision: HEAD

URI: git://git.angstrom-distribution.org/meta-angstrom
branch: master
revision: HEAD

Currently meta-ti only works with the Angstrom distribution and hence
requires the meta-angstrom layer. There are known issues when using
gcc-4.6 based toolchain from OpenEmbedded-Core, thus gcc-4.5
toolchain, provided by meta-openembedded, is needed. It is planned to
fix these shortcomings in the near future and allow building the base
BSP part of meta-ti with different distributions and layer stacks,
such as: distro-less (only with OE-Core), with Yocto/Poky, with
Angstrom or Arago.

Due to the above, it is now recommended to follow the instructions at
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/building-angstrom

This will set it up for the OpenEmbedded-core layout instead of the
old "Classic" OpenEmbedded-dev layout. You can optionally tweak
sources/layers.txt and conf/bblayers.conf to (de)select BSP layers.

===== end

  by the time i'm done reading that, i'm not sure whether i've been
told i can use yocto as long as i do the necessary prep first, or that
i should give up on yocto and just use angstrom directly.  i'm fine
with either approach, but the README seems to just waffle *totally* on
which strategy to use.

  quite simply, that README seems to provide nothing but more
confusion than anything else.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca