[yocto] missing kernel in rootfs image

Joshua Immanuel josh at hipro.co.in
Fri Feb 24 00:29:05 PST 2012

On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 15:10 +0530, Joshua Immanuel wrote:
>         While trying to generate my custom rootfs image, I added the
> linux_yocto_3.0.bbappend file to my custom layer and specified the
> KMACHINE, SRCREV and COMPATIBLE_MACHINE variables. I find the
> generated
> kernel image (bzImage-ekino.bin) in the tmp/deploy/images directory.
>
> But, the rootfs image does not contain the kernel (in /boot
> directory).
> My machine configuration file has the following kernel specific lines
>
>         PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel ?= "linux-yocto"
>         PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-yocto ?= "3.0%"

Can someone explain the work flow behind the process of installing the
kernel into the rootfs image? My custom image has the IMAGE_INSTALL for
"task-core-boot". In turn, the task-core-boot recipe DEPENDS on
"virtual/kernel" this ensures that the kernel is staged.

But, I am not sure which recipe/class is responsible for installing the
kernel in the final rootfs image. Should I explicitly add the
"linux-yocto" to RDEPENDS?

Please guide me.

Regards
Joshua