[yocto] meta-oracle-java

Bob Cochran yocto at mindchasers.com
Thu Feb 23 11:36:18 PST 2012

On 02/22/2012 08:57 AM, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Op 14 feb. 2012, om 15:52 heeft Bob Cochran het volgende geschreven:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I see that a meta-oracle-java layer showed up recently in the yocto repositories.  That's great.
>>
>> Was there an announcement about this new layer sent on a mailing list or posted in a blog?  I had thought I was on all the yocto-related mail lists (https://lists.yoctoproject.org/), but I wasn't aware of this layer until I just read through the repository list (http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/).
>>
>> I did find  a mention about some jdk work in the technical team meeting notes on 1/24, but it was sort of cryptic.  By any chance, is there an openjdk layer coming soon?
>
> It has existed for a while now: https://github.com/woglinde/meta-java
>
> See http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/LayerIndex for more layers

Thanks Koen and Ivan.  I now have both the jvm and compiler working on
my embedded powerpc (started with OE meta-java last night)!

I'm still somewhat puzzled about the dynamics between Yocto and
Openembedded, and I have come to conclusion that I need to watch both
projects & mailing lists carefully & start asking some questions to get
me out of the dark....

I think my initial question about an openjdk layer for yocto is still
valid.  Although meta-java exists in OE and it makes use of the common
meta folders in oe-core, the meta-java layer also makes use of some
recipes in other OE layers (e.g, mercurial in meta-oe & fastjar, which I
pulled from classic). These additional layers didn't seem to play nicely
in the yocto poky tree, so I pulled the recipes and put them in my own
layer.

This next question probably shows some of my ignorance with OE (&
yocto), but what's the plan inside yocto for use of something like OE's
meta-java?  Are yocto users just on their own, should there be a README
for use of the OE layer in yocto, or maybe there should be a translation
layer in yocto for use of popular or common OE layers?

Also, I was working from within master branches in both yocto poky &
meta-java.  I found that I needed to fudge some recipes to get
everything in meta-java to build.  I'll probably go back and rebuild
from scratch again and see if there are some patches that I should send out.

Thanks again for the heads up on meta-java!

Bob