[yocto] trouble using a local kernel repo

Hollis Blanchard hollis_blanchard at mentor.com
Fri Feb 17 08:45:24 PST 2012

On 02/16/2012 03:02 PM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:

> That's the problem. I have a patch that detects this and abort is a non
> bare upstream is used. I just need to send them .. which I'll do when
> I get back to my desk next week.
>
> There are two reason for this bare clone requirement:
>
>   - technical: this scales to several hundred branches. cloning, and
> iterating
>     remote branches to create local tracking branches is noisy and
>     time consuming. So there's a trick that has been in use for years
>     that you can clone a bare upstream, and mass convert the branches
>     to local in a single operation.
>
>   - social: you want to do your development in a different tree from the
>     one that is being cloned and used. That way the tree is clean, and you
>
>     are building what you expect.

One more workflow question: so to test my patch, I need to commit it to
my real git repo, then push to the bare git repo, then rebuild Poky.
When I find the inevitable problem, do I need to manually delete (git
reset --hard) the changeset from both repositories? Is there a better way?

Hollis Blanchard
Mentor Graphics, Embedded Systems Division