[yocto] trouble using a local kernel repo

Hollis Blanchard hollis_blanchard at mentor.com
Thu Feb 16 15:52:27 PST 2012

On 02/16/2012 03:25 PM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> The point is that the tree is local to your machine, but it doesn't
> have to be. You may only have push, not direct commit access. It's
> really not asking for anything that isn't already common practice.

Hmm, I'm not at all a git expert, but I thought common practice was to
clone the upstream git tree, then create local branches that track the
upstream ones. I've never seen any directions say "first create a bare
clone, then clone that again, then create local branches."

>> I'm just trying to test a small kernel/meta patch, and the poorly
>> documented list of setup requirements is growing longer and longer. All
>> this stuff may be good practice for a more complicated scenario, but so
>> far it seems like enormous overkill for my use case...
>
> So why are you trying to use the technique ? Maybe the answer is that the
> docs made it sound like this was the best/right way .. and that's a
> problem in itself.

The docs don't cover "how do I add a kernel patch?" at all, AFAICS.

... oh wow, now I see
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/dev-manual/dev-manual.html.
This actually does talk about bare clones.
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/kernel-manual/kernel-manual.html,
which is what I had been reading, does not.

> If you do have a single patch, toss it on the end of the SRC_URI and
> everything just works like any other package.

The reason I'm even bothering is to try to be a good person. I could
have stuck this in a private collection 2 days ago... but I figured this
is going to bite plenty of other people, so I should try to submit a
patch that would fix it for everybody. I could tell the kernel
configuration system is complicated, but I really didn't expect this
many barriers.

Hollis Blanchard
Mentor Graphics, Embedded Systems Division