[yocto] RDEPENDS fails to find an existing package

Autif Khan autif.mlist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 07:43:15 PST 2012

> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 10:26 +0530, Joshua Immanuel wrote:
>> Can you please explain little bit more on what INSANE_SKIP_${PN} =
>> "dev-so" does. I don't find any documentation on it.
>
> I guess, it suppresses the warnings stating that an non-dev package
> contains symlink. This is the warning I got, when I packaged protobuf
> for yocto

In the e-mail I mentioned that if you are using M2 1.2 (means the
milestone 2 of version 1.2). 1,2 final will be released sometime in
the next few weeks/months.

Sometime between 1.1 and 1.2 M2 - the behavior has been changed where
the warning you described below has been changed to an error - thereby
- the said .so files are not actually included.

This does not apply if you are using 1.0 or 1.1 (not sure about 1.1
myself - I jumped from 1.0 to 1.2 M2)

Eventually - if/when you will be using a newer release of yocto - your
recipe will fail to work as expected - unless you have that insane
skip.

>> WARNING: QA Issue: non -dev/-dbg/-nativesdk package contains symlink .so:
>> protobuf path '/work/core2-poky-linux/protobuf-2.4.1-r1/packages-split/protobuf/usr/lib/libprotobuf.so'
>> WARNING: QA Issue: protobuf: /work/core2-poky-linux/protobuf-2.4.1-r1/packages-split/protobuf/usr/lib/libprotobuf.so
>> contains probably-redundant RPATH /usr/lib
>
> Adding the line INSANE_SKIP_${PN} = "dev-so" suppressed the above
> warnings.

This is correct.