[yocto] Yocto in Virtualbox

cnxsoft cnxsoft at cnx-software.com
Wed Feb 8 18:01:08 PST 2012

On 09/02/2012 00:00, Scott Garman wrote:
> On 02/08/2012 12:14 AM, cnxsoft wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have build x86 qemu image using "bitbake -k core-image-sato" following
>> the instructions given at
>> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.1/yocto-project-qs/yocto-project-qs.html
>>
>> I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 in VirtualBox 4.1.6.
>>
>> When I run qemu, qemu starts apparently fine, but the qemu window stays
>> black. So I'm suspecting that either it does not work in Virtualbox or I
>> may have tochange some settings in qemu (e.g. -vga vmware).
>
> Have you installed the Virtualbox guest additions within your VM?
>
> Fwiw I've not run into any issues doing this with a Fedora 14 and
> Fedora 16 VM (other than the builds themselves being dog slow). I make
> sure to install the guest additions in all my VMs.
>
> Scott

Thanks Scott.  Yes, I have Virtual Box guest additions installed. My
host is running Windows XP btw. And yes it was slow...the build for
core-image-minimal took around 36 hours...
I found a link with a Virtual Box issue
(https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Build_Appliance_Design), but it seem
related to the build itself rather than an issue while running qemu.