[yocto] Building your own UI

jfabernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 12:52:03 PST 2012

On 02/07/2012 07:47 PM, Joshua Lock wrote:

> On 07/02/12 13:54, jfabernathy wrote:

>>> A key selling point of the Yocto approach is to provide a highly
>>> customised OS for your target application, rather than taking an
>>> existing solution and stripping it back.
>>>
>>> 2. is the antithesis of the Yocto approach if you don't want/need the
>>> Sato UI.
>>>
>>> The intention is that the core metadata should provide sufficient
>>> granularity through the defined images and tasks to get people started.
>>>
>>> I'd recommend something like 1. only taking core-image-core (horrible
>>> name I know) if you want an X based OS.
>>>
>> I built core-image-core and it works and is basic. So it's not a really
>> small Sato???
>>
>>> We no doubt need more documentation in this area, and Hob is designed
>>> to help here.

>>> Creating your own image is better in that you only build and ship what
>>> you need. Arguably building atop a custom image is easier, but you
>>> lose control.

>>> You might consider creating a custom image by starting with
>>> core-image-minimal and adding IMAGE_FEATURES and IMAGE_INSTALL entries
>>> to provide the core functionality you desire.
>>>
>>> $ less foo.bb
>>> # a noddy example image, base of a NAS OS
>>>
>>> # start with core-image-minimal
>>> require recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal.bb
>>>
>>> IMAGE_FEATURES += "package-management nfs-server ssh-server-dropbear"
>>> IMAGE_INSTALL += "my-custom-nas-app"
>>>
>> I have difficulty understanding the difference in IMAGE_FEATURES and
>> IMAGE_INSTALL. To me IMAGE_INSTALL is clear I've used that in a
>> core-image-sato.bbappend file in an image directory in my own recipes-xx
>> directory. I see how IMAGE_FEATURES is uses in the core-image-core:
>>
>> IMAGE_FEATURES += "apps-console-core ${X11_IMAGE_FEATURES}"
>>
>> But I have no idea what ${X11_IMAGE_FEATURES} is or how to find where
>> it's defined. The apps-console-core is define in the Poky Refernce
>> manual:
>>
>> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/poky-ref-manual/poky-ref-manual.html#ref-features-image
>>

>> However, I'm not sure were to find it's definition in the many recipes.
>
> The features are defined in core-image.bbclass:
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/classes/core-image.bbclass
>

> Most of them translate into one or more task recipes
> (meta/recipes-*/tasks/) except package-management which translates to
> ROOTFS_PKGMANAGE which in turn is defined in each of the package
> management rootfs construction classes (meta/classes/rootfs_*.bbclass).

Thanks, Joshua,

I have build a number of the images with minimal x11 features to see the
difference. All of them appear to be the basic Sato without the apps or
borders. And all start with the bit Yocto Project Splash screen.  I
remember back a few years and it may go back to more than that, you
could launch just X without a window manager or at least a basic one and
all you had was one xterm session. You could right click and create
another xterm, but anything else had to be launched from the command
line in the xterm.  like glxgears, mplayer, etc.  It was a good way of
testing without committing to a look and feel.  Does that level exist in
Yocto.  I'm not seeing how I use what I'm seeing even with the x11-basic
to create a custom platform look.

BTW, I built core-image-clutter and it looks just like core-image-sato.
Not sure the difference.
Also build the qt4e-demo-image.  That is pretty cool demo.  Probably
takes a lot to figure out how to following that look and feel.

JIm A