[yocto] Building your own UI

Sean Liming sean_liming at sjjmicro.com
Tue Feb 7 22:12:25 PST 2012

>> This may be a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway.
>
>> Suppose you have a project where you need a very custom user
>> interface. Not just a series of applications that appear on a desktop
>> like you see in sato, or Gnome, or KDE.  Basically your application
becomes the UI.

>> I can see 2 approaches to this:
>
>> Start with core-image-minimal and add the packages you need to support
>> GFX, X11, and your application plus dependencies.
>> Take core-image-sato and change the applications to be your subtasks ,
>> and the look-and-feel of the desktop.
>
>> What are the considerations of both approaches?
> >Is one better, or easier than the other?
> >How would you do this in Yocto?
>> Where do you look for information you need to accomplish this?

>We are still in the very early stages of architecture design and
development

>For now we are leaning towards keeping everything that comes with
core-image-sato and writing a full screen app on top of it. Likely to be
written in .NET (mono). A prototype (proof of concept) has been successfully
developed :-)

>As I said - still in very early stages of arch/design and dev. So things
may still change.

If it is okay to jump in an comment, I was going to ask the same question at
some point.

The need to have the application as the main UI or shell to the system is
important for branding. Launching sato or other desktop would not be
desirable. As an example, Windows uses Explorer.exe as the shell, but can be
replaced with any application. Windows was architected this way. It would be
nice to have similar architecture here, but I know it is easier said than
done. As you said this is early in design.