[yocto] Booting Beagle over NFS

Jack Mitchell ml at communistcode.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 03:34:14 PST 2012

Hello everyone,

I am attempting to boot my BeagleBoard over NFS. Now I have followed
some instructions and used my onw knowledge to derive the boot
parameters as shown here:

> setenv bootargs 'console=ttySO2,115200n8 noinitrd rw
> ip=10.0.11.2::255.255.255.0 root=/dev/nfs
> nfsroot=10.0.11.1:/home/jack/yocto/poky-edison/beagleEdison/beagleRootFS,nolock,rsize=1024,wsize=1024,rootdelay=2'
> setenv bootcmd 'mmcinit;fatload mmc 0 80300000 uImage;bootm 80300000'

I am then making an image file as show here:
http://www.yoctoproject.org/download/bsp/texas-instruments-arm-cortex-a8-development-board-beagleboard-0

> mkimage -A arm -O linux -T script -C none -a 0 -e 0 -n "Core Minimal"
> -d ./serial-boot.cmd ./boot.scr

I then proceed to boot my beagle and it just uses the old settings where
it reads the root from the mmc. I have also tried copying the boot
commands to the boot partition with the name uEnv.txt, still to no avail.

Does anyone have any clues why it is not picking up my new boot
configuration?

It would also be useful to turn of quiet booting on the Beagle, does
anyone know how this is done, I cannot see any initialisation of the
kernel over serial.

Best Regards,
Jack.