[yocto] Hob 1.2 design - visuals

Joshua Lock josh at linux.intel.com
Thu Feb 2 13:19:37 PST 2012

I really like the look Mikael has created here.

A couple of related questions, this could just be mis-calibrated
expectation from visual design on my part so please don't take them as
criticism - merely an attempt to clarify:

1) where the visual design differentiates from the toolkit (Gtk+) is the
intention that we should use the toolkit provided widgets or create our
own to more closely match the visual design?
(for example the tabs for notebook pages in the 'Building Packages' screen).

2) When implementing Hob v1 I tried to follow the GNOME HIG[1] to ensure
the app would fit in with the common Linux desktop environments. Should
v2 continue that trend? Where the visual design might differ with the
HIG which should be preferred?
(i.e. the button being flush with the bottom of the window in the Image
Configuration screen is what first struck me here).

3) where the visual design uses various colours I assume the intention
is to use the colours from the operating systems theme? This is slightly
more difficult programatically than hard-coding colours but leads to (in
my opinion) a much more pleasing visual experience.
(i.e. tooltip and button colours)

Finally, I notice that the titlebar calls it HOB, instead of Hob - was
that intentional? Hob was always mean as a name, not an acronym.

I'm probably confusing visual design for a spec but it's been a while
since I worked with the design team and my engineers mind is very literal.

This is looking really good!

Cheers,
Joshua

1. http://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/3.0/

On 02/02/12 09:24, Barros Pena, Belen wrote:
> Mikael, our visual designer, has been working full speed on Hob 1.2. His
> work is now in the wiki too:
>
> https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/File:Hob_1.2_screens_inventory.pdf
>

> Belen
>
> On 02/02/2012 16:58, "Barros Pena, Belen"<belen.barros.pena at intel.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I've uploaded a document detailing the design of the Settings dialogue
>> for Hob 1.2 at
>>
>> https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/File:Settings-dialogue-design-spec-v1.0
>> .pdf
>>
>> Sorry it's a boring document instead of a video: it seemed the only way
>> to provide the necessary level of detail
>>
>> Let me know if you have any questions or comments.
>>
>> Belen
>> Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
>> Registered No. 1134945 (England)
>> Registered Office: Pipers Way, Swindon SN3 1RJ
>> VAT No: 860 2173 47
>>
>> This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for
>> the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review or distribution
>> by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
>> recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.

> Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
> Registered No. 1134945 (England)
> Registered Office: Pipers Way, Swindon SN3 1RJ
> VAT No: 860 2173 47

Joshua Lock
         Yocto Project "Johannes factotum"
         Intel Open Source Technology Centre