[yocto] pkg-manager assembly of rootfs via meta-toolchain tarball tools.

David Nyström david.nystrom at enea.com
Thu Feb 2 05:54:58 PST 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to assemble a functioning rootfs by using the pre-built ipk
tarballs and the toolchain tarball.
Below commands installs the correct packages, but produces a
non-functional rootfs, probably since the
post-install hooks does not seem to be executed with an offline
'install'. Also, as expected, the /dev directory is left unpopulated.

 >bitbake meta-toolchain
 >sudo chmod 777 /opt
 >tar jxvf poky-eglibc-x86_64-ppce500mc-toolchain-1.1.tar.bz2
--delay-directory-restore -C /
 >source /opt/poky/1.1/environment-setup-ppce500mc-poky-linux
 >mkdir -p /tmp/rootfs/var/lib/opkg
 >opkg-cl -f /opt/poky/1.1/sysroots/ppce500mc-poky-linux/etc/opkg.conf
--offline-root /tmp/rootfs update
 >opkg-cl -f /opt/poky/1.1/sysroots/ppce500mc-poky-linux/etc/opkg.conf
--offline-root /tmp/rootfs install task-core-boot

--force-postinstall will try to run them, but without success since most
scripts are reference the root directory. And I can't find an easy way
to tell opkg to run post-install scripts with a path prefix.
I'm guessing I need a fakechroot jail for this to work. But I would
prefer to use stuff already in the tarball.

Can I use pseudo for this ? Are there any more documentation on
practical usage of pseudo, other than that in the README in pseudo:s GIT
repo.

There seems to be a lack of documentation on the features and other neat
stuff you can do 'offline' with the meta-toolchain tarball, perhaps we
should open a page on the wiki detailing some of this stuff. Or perhaps
this is already documented elsewhere ?

Best Regards,
David