[yocto] creating global variables in a recipes

Joshua Immanuel josh at hipro.co.in
Wed Feb 1 07:49:55 PST 2012

Hello all,

On Wed, 2012-02-01 at 12:07 +0530, Joshua Immanuel wrote:
> > At present in my custom image recipe I've added the following
> > lines
> >
> >         SOME_VARIABLE = "Blah"
> >         do_bootimg[depends] += "base-files:do_install"
> >
> > But the contents of ${SOME_VARIABLE} is not available in the
> > 'base-files' recipe. Even
> >
> >         export SOME_VARIABLE = "Blah"
> >
> > doesn't solve the problem.
>
>         $ bitbake custom-image -c devshell
>
> In the above devshell I can find the contents of ${SOME_VARIABLE}
> available but the content of it is empty in 'base-files' recipe.

In other words, I need to define global variables in a package which can
be used across multiple packages. At present the only option I have is
to export the variable in build/conf/local.conf. IMHO, this doesn't feel
like a proper solution (as the variable is my layer specific). Moreover,
I can't change the value of it in one package to be used in other
package(s).

Is there any other way to do this? Please guide me.

Regards
Joshua
--
Joshua Immanuel